access keys, skip navigation=Sskip to content

Service Listing » Recreational & Commercial Boating

Recreational & Commercial Boating Recreational & Commercial Boating

Roads & Maritime Services

Boat or Personal Watercraft Licence

  • Boat Drivers Licence

    The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5 km/h) or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56
Roads & Maritime Services

Vessel Registration

  • Vessel Registration

    A person must be at least 16 years of age to register a vessel in NSW. Registrations are granted on an annual basis and the following vessels must be registered with NSW Maritime when occupying NSW navigable waters:

    1) Any commercial vessel
    2) Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5hp)
    3) Any power-driven or sailing vessel of 5.5 metres or longer
    4) Every vessel subject to a mooring licence (includes marina berths)
    5) Personal watercraft (PWC).

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56
Roads & Maritime Services

Private Mooring

  • Private Mooring Licence

    A mooring licence permits you to moor your vessel on navigable waters and is renewable annually. A mooring licence is not a lease of the seabed and there is no guarantee of tenure. The general position of the site is determined and may be varied at the discretion of NSW Maritime. It is however the responsibility of a mooring contractor to ensure that the mooring and its location are suitable for the vessel in question.

    A Private Mooring Licence is subject to special conditions. Non-compliance with these conditions may result in the cancellation of the licence and/or your liability insurance may be null and void. To view these conditions click here.

    Generally, the maximum number of mooring sites that can be accommodated in an area is subject to a number of considerations including water depth, navigational requirements, seagrass beds and foreshore facilities.

    A Private Mooring Licence cannot be sublet or traded in any way.

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56
Roads & Maritime Services

Commercial Mooring

  • Commercial Mooring Licence

    A Commercial Mooring Licence permits the licensee to occupy navigable water with a registered vessel. The licence is issued for a period of 12 months and is renewed on payment of the relevant fees. Reviews are conducted to ensure the licence is used in accordance with the approved purpose.

    A commercial mooring can generally be identified by a red or orange buoy and is subject to standard conditions. Special conditions may also apply.

    There are two types of Commercial Mooring Licences:

    Commercial - available to legitimate marine type businesses, or
    Club– available to a registered club or association (usually a boating or sailing club).
    Commercial Moorings are only issued to:

    A business entity or person approved by NSW Maritime as trading to provide approved marine type services to the boating public (eg boat repair, marinas, commercial fishing, charter vessels, boat brokerage, mooring contractor) or
    Any other business which cannot be accessed by means other than water i.e. there is no land access

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56
Roads & Maritime Services

Certificates of Competency

  • If you want to work on commercial vessel, you must hold an appropriate Certificate of Competency under the National System for Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety.
  • Certificate of Competency

    By law, any person working as crew on a commercial vessel on NSW waterways must hold a Certificate of Competency. This ensures that people operating commercial vessels are competent and medically fit for their assigned tasks and areas of operation.

    NSW Maritime issues the following Certificates of Competency:

    1) Coxswain;
    2) Master Class 5;
    3) Mate Class 4;
    4) Master Class 4;
    5) Master Class 3;
    6) Marine Engine Driver Grade 3;
    7) Marine Engine Driver Grade 2;
    8) Marine Engine Driver Grade 1;
    9) Engineer Class 3;
    10) Skipper Grade 3;
    11) Skipper Grade 2;
    12) Skipper Grade 1;
    13) Master of vehicular ferry in chains; and
    14) General purpose hand.

    Holders of certificates of competency as master, mate or coxswain are exempt from the requirement to hold a general boat driving licence or PWC licence. This exemption does not apply to engineering certificates, general purpose hands or masters of vehicular ferry in chains

    Record of Service

    The final stage in applying for a Certificate of Competency is an assessment by NSW Maritime. This assessment is only conducted when all other requirements have been met. The assessment is an interview style assessment of your skills and knowledge. The assessment may involve the use of a simulator or may be conducted on board a vessel and include a practical boat driving test for coxswains and masters Certificates. You may also be required to provide a written response to questions as part of the assessment process.

    Assessments are conducted at Rozelle and at various other regional centres when there are sufficient candidates to be assessed.

    You will be advised in writing if you are eligible for an assessment and you must then book an appointment. The assessment may take two to three hours.

    You may be assessed on any of the competencies listed in the national standards including competencies for Certificates of a lower grade.

  • Marine Certification
    Roads & Maritime Services
    Commercial Operations Branch
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    (02) 9563 8769
Roads & Maritime Services

Vessel Survey

  • Vessels in commercial use in Australia that require a Certificate of Survey and Operation must have regular survey inspections to ensure that they are compliant with National Standards.
  • Vessel Survey

    The following vessels require a survey certificate to operate in NSW waters:

    1) All Class 1 vessels
    2) Class 2A, 2B and 2C vessels
    3) Class 2D and Class 2E vessels that
    - carry passengers, or
    - carry fuel or dangerous goods, or
    - are equipped with dredging machinery and have a total brake power of 500kW or more, or
    - are equipped with pile driving equipment, or
    - are landing vessels, or
    - are mooring or crane vessels with a crane lifting capacity of more than 3 tonnes, or
    - are 25 metres or more in length, or
    - are tugs (vessels primarily designed to be used to tow other vessels or floating plant or equipment), or
    - are used for thrill or adventure rides, or
    - are novel craft
    4) Class 3A and Class 3B vessels
    5) Class 3C vessels other than vessels that are not more than 7.5m in length and are used for ocean haul or beach fishing
    6) Class 3D and Class 3E vessels that are 25m or more in length
    7) Class 4C vessels
    8) Class 4D and Class 4E powered vessels that are 7.5m or more in length.

    These vessels must comply with the design, construction and equipment requirements of the Uniform Shipping Laws (USL) Code/National Standard for Commercial Vessels.

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Commercial Operations Branch
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    (02) 9563 8777
Roads & Maritime Services

Aquatic Events

  • Aquatic Events Licence

    An aquatic licence is required by any person or organisation conducting, promoting or organising a race, competition or exhibition or any other activity which restricts the availability of navigable waters for normal use by the public. Penalties apply for conducting an event /activity without an aquatic licence. Applications for aquatic licences, supporting documentation and an appropriate fee must be submitted to NSW Maritime a minimum of four weeks prior to commencement of the event/activity, otherwise the application may be refused or a late fee payable.

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56
Roads & Maritime Services

Hire and Drive

  • Hire and Drive Licence

    Hire and Drive vessels are commercial vessels that are hired for recreational use. These vessels must have a survey certificate or operate under a hire and drive licence.Additionally, the following hire and drive vessels require a Certificate of Survey:

    • All hire and drive vessels 7.5m or more in length.
    • All hire and drive vessels operating outside sheltered waters.
    • All hire and drive vessels operating overnight.

    These vessels must comply with the design, construction and safety equipment requirements of the National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part F Section 2.

  • Roads & Maritime Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450
    13 12 56

Most Popular

Useful Links