Recreational & Commercial Boating
access keys, skip navigation=Sskip to content
Service Listing » Home Owners, Building & Renovation
Investigate if you are eligible for exempt or complying development under the NSW Housing Code.
Find an Accredited certifier in your area.
To view your dashboard to monitor your application, or view an application awaiting assessment, please sign-in
The Electronic Housing Code (EHC) system is available in participating local government areas across NSW.
If you are a resident of, or local industry member in, one of these Council areas, you are able to:
1) Investigate your development options for an individual site
2) Generate an exempt development report
3) Prepare your complying development application electronically
4) Lodge your complying development application electronically
5) Monitor the progress of your application
Owner-builder work is any work (including supervision and co-ordination) involved in the construction of, or alterations, repairs or additions to, a dwelling (which includes a house, terrace, town-house, garage, swimming pool and certain other structures and improvements):
1) where the reasonable market cost (including labour and materials) exceeds $5,000, and
2) which relates to a single dwelling or dual occupancy:
3) that requires development consent under Part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, or that is a complying development within the meaning of that Act
As an owner-builder, you are responsible for:
1) overseeing and supervising all tradespeople
2) ordering of materials and management of the building site
3) obtaining all necessary council and authority approvals
4) ensuring that the financial, taxation and insurance requirements of the building work are met and fully comply with all laws
5) being aware of your obligations under the Workers Compensation Act 1987 and Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 and providing a safe work environment that complies with WorkCover requirements
6) ensuring any contractor engaged is appropriately licensed and insured to do the work contracted for
7) warranting that the work and materials will be fit for the purpose and that the work results in a dwelling fit for occupation.
Download Owner builder forms and associated documentsUse the Electronic Housing Code
Investigate if you are eligible for exempt or complying development under the NSW Housing Code.Sign-in to access an EHC application
To view your dashboard to monitor your application, or view an application awaiting assessment, please sign-inParticipating Councils
List of councils that are currently participating in the EHC programParticipating Accredited (Private) Certifiers
List of the Accredited (Private) Certifiers that are currently participating in the EHC project
information and Resources for owner builders from Fair TradingFind an owner builder approved course
Registered training Organisations providing owner builder coursesAbout the Electronic Housing Code (EHC)
Information and resources about the EHC system.Find a certifier in your area
Find an Accredited certifier in your area.NSW Housing Code
The Housing Code is an alternative to the traditional development application (DA) process saving home owners time and money with less paperwork and a quicker approvalLocal Government Directory
Contact details of your local council.Buildings Professionals Board (BPB)
Accreditation Information and resources for council and private certifiers.